If a family member has recently passed away, you may have been told that you need a Grant of Probate so you can administer their estate. The process through the Supreme Court of NSW may be overwhelming – and that is where we can assist. If you need assistance applying for a Grant of Probate, or with any other estate administration matter, we can provide as much or as little assistance as you require.
There are a few steps to obtain probate. You will need to:
- obtain the Death Certificate.
- locate the original will. If there is no will, then you will need to apply for Letters of Administration rather than a Grant of Probate.
- prepare your Court documents and your affidavit.
- advertise your intention to apply for probate.
- work out the deceased’s assets and liabilities.
Not every estate requires a Grant of Probate – it depends on the nature and extent of the assets. For instance, for joint assets the survivng owner usually becomes the sole owner If the estate assets are of minimal value, it can be possible to deal with the assets without probate.
If you need assistance to obtain a Grant of Probate and Administer an Estate, feel free to contact us to find out more or to arrange a consultation with an experienced lawyer. Our office is based is Belrose.